Saturday, October 3, 2009

Flat Tires


Anybody who rides a bike for any length of time will have a flat tire.  This is just simply no fun.  But learning to change a flat quickly and easily is a developed skill and vital for races.  I was riding yesterday and had flat on my race wheels pictured here which use tubular tires.  These are different than the classic clincher tires that most people are familiar with.  The tubular tire has the tube integrated within the structure of the tire and both tire and tube are changed as a single unit.  That unit is literally glued to the wheel.  Prior to riding and at least 24 hours before using the tire, the glue is applied to your tire and allowed to dry forming a very sticky base.  Taking the tire off the wheel and reapplying a spare takes a little finesse and some strength.  You have to stretch the tire over the rim and some upper body strength is necessary.  Tubular tires are typically much more durable and not prone to flat, certainly compared to clinchers.  I can attest to this as I've ridden on these race tires since May, have maybe 1000 miles on them and have had two flats. 

Riding yesterday I was terrified by the traffic.  It was late in the afternoon and my route was crowded and slow with commuters.  It would seem to be easier to ride when traffic is at a virtual standstill versus having cars whizzing by at 60 mph, but it is not.  The roads I ride have big wide shoulders and cars were constantly darting onto that shoulder to make turns directly in front of me or to zoom past everyone to the next intersection.  Additionally, cars would make the right turn onto the shoulder directly in front of me.  All of this made my jumpy and nervous.  This one route has a fair amount of hills where I am either doing 10-12 mph up or 40 mph down,  plus on and off ramps.  This all added up to slower times and not a fun experience.  It will be late morning or mid day rides for me from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment